James S. and his son Maurice James Harrington built the Harrington House for the family’s main residence in the 1920′s. The Harrington family built the home next door to the dairy plant they owned and operated in Dushore. At one time their milk and ice cream plant was the largest single employer in Sullivan County; Harrington & Company at Dushore was an essential factor in the welfare of the county.
The Harrington family was of Irish descent. Maurice’s father, James S. Harrington was born in 1851 the eleventh of twelve children by Cornelius Harrington, an emigrant from the county of Kerry in Ireland and his wife Mary Ann Litzelswope. In 1880, James S. married Margaret Gahan in Elmira, New York. The couple had five children – Maurice James (1886), Mildred [Snyder], Mary, Helen (d. 3 y/o) and Margaret (d. l y/o).
Maurice James, the only boy, married Mary Lane in 1910 and they, along with their children Robert Maurice and Margaret [Peg] lived in the house until the mid 1940′s when they passed the house to their daughter and her husband, Jack Gerrity. The Gerrity’s then raised their five children, John Martin, Mary Kathleen, Patrick Maurice, Peggy Ann and Maureen, in the Harrington House.
After spending the final three years of his life in the Harrington House living with his daughter and son-in-law, Maurice died at the age of 92 on December 12, 1979. Likewise, his wife, Mary Lane Harrington died in 1976 at the age of 90 in the Harrington House.
The Harrington House has an interesting history beginning with the lot. The home’s lot had another house on it, so wheels were used to move it down the street. The House’s style blended Georgian Colonial and Colonial Revival styles which were popular in the early 1900′s. The simplicity of design and classical refinements incorporated with this modem trend set the Harrington House apart from the more elaborate Victorians that dominated Dushore’s streets. The brick siding was unusual for the area; most local homes were wood-sided because of the abundant lumber in the area. The front entrance was offset from the center of the facade, breaking the rules of central door symmetry, but allowed a more practical use of the interior space. The gable roof was accented by a circular dormer and central chimney. The house was framed with classical cornices and dentil moldings. The plentiful, large windows on all floors were rectangular, iron clad, multiple panes, sash types arranged symmetrically around the house. The front door was framed with a portico, pediment and pillars. A side porch ran along the north side of the house and contained three entrances to the home. A sun room accented the back of the house on the second floor.
The interior featured walnut woodwork, crown moldings, pocket doors and rosette glass knobs. A walnut stairway and banister complimented walnut moldings that framed the windows and doorways throughout the house. The walls were plaster and room flooring was narrow-planked hardwood. Black and white tile lay in the main hallways.
The Harrington House was “almost” next door to the ice cream plant usually referred to as “The Creamery” where plenty of steam was generated from the heating system. Smoke bellowed from a tall (300-350 feet) high, yellow, brick stack with the word HARRINGTON and CO. in black bricks. Determined to use this steam to keep the house’s radiators running, an insulated pipe was installed from the creamery through the back of the neighboring Litzelman property. Big dump trucks would get coal from a very large coal pile [located where the current town sewer equipment sits] and haul it up to a dumping station in the side of the creamery building. The coal would be burned to heat water tanks that would produce the steam which heated the creamery buildings and Harrington home. Also, the steam was used to provide the power for the town’s fire whistle.
In 1983, the Harrington House began the next chapter of its history when Jerry and Aimee Plastow purchased the house to establish a dental business and raise their three children.
The facade of the house was changed dramatically; new energy efficient windows were installed and a few interior walls were removed for better functioning. The kitchen was overhauled, back porch enclosed for a laundry room and side porch sealed off for the children’s playroom. The ground floor was converted into dental office space. One addition added a two car garage and a second addition side increased the square footage of the living area.
In 1992, the Plastows purchased the adjoining Troutwein property to the south of the house. This added a second lot to the property, increased the dental business parking and provided more outdoor space for the growing family.
The next chapter in the Harrington House history began in 2009. Always thinking that the house would make a great “little hotel” or bed and breakfast, Dr. and Mrs. Plastow decided to open a bed and breakfast in the house.
The success of the bed and breakfast coupled with a growth of the natural gas industry and a increase in the number of travelers through the area, motivated the Plastows to expand the business. In 2012, the Plastows purchased the Litzelman property and started plans to build a hotel. A north annex with 10 guest rooms, an exercise room, a laundry room and an expanded breakfast/social room was added. A new front entrance and reception areas was created.
Today the hotel boasts of 16 units with modern hotel amenities.