Interested in a trip to Sullivan County, but not sure what to do and see?
Here are some suggested itineraries to get you started!
Take a peek at our vacation packages here and save up to 25%!
Bucket List Destinations
- Incredible View: Canyon Vista
- Seven mountain ranges collide to create a one-of-a-kind tableau in Worlds End State Park. Spring and summer provide lush green scenery, autumn is ablaze with reds, yellows, and oranges, and winter’s bare trees allow for an unimpeded view of the ravines below. The hike up to the vista can be a bit difficult, but is definitely worth the trek. It is also accessible by car, if driving is more your speed. However you approach it, the view will leave you awestruck. Don’t forget your camera!
- Breathtaking Waterfall: Dutchman Falls
- While there are a lot of waterfalls in Sullivan County, let alone in Pennsylvania as a whole, the most spectacular to behold is Dutchman Falls, located along the Loyalsock Trail, near the Haystacks (another great sight to see!). Dutchman Falls is the rare waterfall that is even more beautiful in person than in photos. It is a relatively easy hike to reach the falls, but it can be very slippery, so please dress appropriately and keep aware of your surroundings.
- Amazing Natural Formation: Ticklish Rock
- Take a drive to Shrewsbury Township, and you will be rewarded with a supremely atypical sight: a rock formation consisting of one large rock balancing precariously upon a smaller rock. A formation such as this one should wiggle, as if it is being tickled, hence the name. The rock is located on private land, so make sure to check in with the Ticklish Rock Hunting Club for permission to access the structure.
- Unique Local Event: Outhouse Races
- Every August, Dushore’s Founder’s Day festivities commence, with food, kids’ games, and arts and crafts. The most notable event, however, is the Outhouse Races. Thousands of people descend upon downtown Dushore to watch people race wheeled outhouses down Main St. You have to see it to believe it!
- Eat, Drink, and Be Happy: 220 House
- Enjoy a big city meal in a small town at the 220 House Bar & Grill! Options include salads, seafood, steak, and everything in-between. The restaurant opens at 5pm, Monday through Saturday, with reservations recommended.
- Big City Comforts, Small Town Hospitality: Hotel Harrington
- The only hotel in Sullivan County, Hotel Harrington offers the refinery of a big city hotel with the small town service you know and love. Scrumptious beds and white glove cleanliness… Spend a night here, and you will never forget it!
Not-So-Secret Swimming Holes
- The Secret Is Out: Loyalsock Creek at Worlds End State Park
- A small dam on Pennsylvania’s River of the Year creates a refreshing swimming area. There is a small beach adjacent to the water. Swimming is open from Memorial Day to Labor Day, sunrise to sunset.
- Everyone’s Favorite: Lake Jean at Ricketts Glen State Park
- This lake surpasses any local pool: 600 feet of beach, concession stands, boat rentals, and picnic tables. Full of fresh water, Lake Jean is the go-to place in the summer! Swimming is open from late-May to mid-September, 8am until sunset.
- Swimming Burns Calories: 220 House
- Refuel after a day of swimming with a filling meal at the 220 House Bar & Grill! The menu includes four steak options, seafood, and pasta favorites, sure to satisfy every swimmer’s needs.
- Even Mermaids Need to Sleep: Hotel Harrington
- Relax after a long day and a delicious dinner at the Hotel Harrington. Plush beds soothe even the weariest bodies. With a free continental breakfast and in-room Keurig machines, you are all set to take on the next day.
Hike & Relax
26 Trails – 2 Parks – 1 Tank of Gas: Ricketts Glen and Worlds End State Parks
- Fresh Air is the Best Air: Falls Trail at Ricketts Glen State Park
- Breathe in that fresh mountain area while hiking to 21 beautiful waterfalls. The trail can be rocky and slippery, so don’t forget your hiking boots!
- Treasure Hunting: Fossils at Worlds End State Park
- Get your hands dirty, and dig in the fresh earth at this under-the-radar state park. You will find fossils buried there from the time of the dinosaurs. Now that’s what I call buried treasure!
- Big Year Birdwatching: Audubon Susquehanna River Birding and Wildlife Trail at Ricketts Glen State Park
- The trails at this park have been chosen to appear in Audubon’s collection for its superior birdwatching. Bring your binoculars, stay on the path, and try to keep your oohs and ahhs at a whisper while you spot 23 different varieties of warblers and bald eagles!
- Wildlife Viewing: Loyalsock Trail at Worlds End State Park
- Whether you like big animals, like bears and coyotes, or smaller ones, like the recently reintroduced fisher and river otter, you will be sure to spot some amazing wildlife along this trail. Keep your eyes peeled, and your camera at the ready!
- Cooling Off: Lake Jean at Ricketts Glen State Park
- Take a dip in one of the favorite local swimming holes! Enjoy the 600-foot beach, grab a snack at the concession stand, and rest your legs at the picnic area. You’ll be ready for beach blanket bingo in no time!
- Anxiety Relief Dinner: 220 House
- Did you know that the omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin D found in foods like salmon can have a calming effect? Release your anxiety with a delectable dinner at 220 House Bar & Grill! Complement your meal with a perfectly crafted cocktail, and watch your worries float away.
- Glamp in Style: Hotel Harrington
- Finish off your day with a refreshing stay at the only hotel in Sullivan County. Relax in style with a flat screen TV, Keurig beverage machine, and a supremely comfortable bed. You’ll never want to leave!
- Genealogy Dabbler: Sullivan County Museum
- Learn about the people who founded this beautiful county, and what their lives were like at this one-of-a-kind museum. The knowledgeable staff is always eager to chat, teach, and answer all of your questions.
- Local History Lover: Eagles Mere Museum
- Eagles Mere has the “resort town” vibe down pat, but do you know how it all started? Take an afternoon and walk through this quaint museum. Be sure to check out the unique finds in the museum store!
- Grease Monkey: Eagles Mere Air & Auto Museum
- If you love cars and planes, then this stop is for you! Explore the founder’s collection of 75 cars from the 1950s and 1960s, plus airplanes from 1908-1935 and a vast array of memorabilia. Hours can vary, so please call ahead of your trip.
- European History Aficionado: French Azilum
- Visit the home built for Marie Antoinette and her court, nestled in the Endless Mountains of Pennsylvania, along the Susquehanna River. While the queen and her entourage never made it to the settlement, French loyalists lived here for 10 years, until pardoned by Napoleon Bonaparte. Explore the museum cabin, blacksmith shop, herb garden, and wine cellar on your own, and then take a guided tour through The Laporte House, built in 1836.
- Freedom Fighter: Endless Mountains War Memorial Museum
- Honoring those who fought for our freedom, this museum contains artifacts from the Civil War, WWI, WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. The admission is free, but donations are gladly accepted to keep this monument to history and freedom alive.
- The Best Steak in Town: 220 House
- A great hunger for history also creates a great hunger for good food, and you can find both at the 220 House Bar & Grill! Known for having the best steak in town, this restaurant and bar also offers a range of entrees and drinks to satisfy even the pickiest eater. Check out the Harrington Creamery memorabilia on your way into the dining room!
- Sleep with History: Hotel Harrington
- Spend your nights in the former home of the Harrington Family, credited with starting the dairy business in Sullivan County. More information on the history of the hotel can be found here.
- Reconnect with Nature: Worlds End State Park
- Spend the day at the hidden gem of Pennsylvania’s State Parks system. Take a guided hike, or fly solo, and check out the best views in the county at Canyon Vista and High Knob Overlook. Explore waterfalls, quiet spots for meditation or reading, and take a refreshing swim in the Loyalsock Creek, named Pennsylvania’s 2018 River of the Year.
- Satisfy Your Growling Stomach: Big Mike’s Steak and Hoagies
- Refuel with the best cheesesteaks outside of Philadelphia at the Forksville General Store & Restaurant. Don’t forget to take an epic selfie at one of the best preserved covered bridges in the state, conveniently located right next to the general store.
- Cuddle Something Soft: Artisan Alpacas
- Need a bit of warmth? Missing your four-legged best furiend? Share a carrot (or twenty) with the friendly alpacas, and learn everything you have ever wanted to know about alpaca farming. Stop in to the shop and buy some cuddly new favorites, including hand-knit accessories, and yarn made from your new furry besties.
- Sip Something Sweet: Local Favorites
- There are a myriad of ways to satisfy your sweet tooth! Mary Beth’s WestSide Deli features an ice cream window that is sure to beat the summer heat. Yonkin’s Maple Syrup has fresh syrup tapped from their very own maple trees, in a variety of grades. If you’re looking for something a little more spirited, then venture to Winterland Winery for a taste of their award-winning wines, or stop into the bar at 220 House for an after-dinner cocktail.
- Treat Yourself: 220 House
- Show yourself some foodie love with a nice dinner at 220 House Bar & Grill, located inside Hotel Harrington. The menu offers salads, steak entrees, seafood, and everything in-between. Sit at the bar and get some local tips from the staff, or call ahead for reservations and enjoy a quiet meal, a nice glass of wine, and your favorite book.
- Rest up for your Next Adventure: Hotel Harrington
- Lay your head down and forget your worries in the heart of Dushore. Hotel Harrington is the only hotel in the county, and prides itself on industry-leading cleanliness and safety. The owners live on-site, and the parking lot is well-lit. It is within walking distance to downtown, and even has a restaurant and bar on-site, 220 House. The hotel also offers a free continental breakfast, to fuel your next day’s adventures!
- Morning Fuel: Pam’s Restaurant
- Enjoy a hearty breakfast at a true Dushore institution. The dining room is decorated with the family’s large collection of cookie jars, so you can view some impressive art while you eat.
- Breathtaking Nature: Falls Trail at Ricketts Glen
- Bring your camera (and waterproof gear!) as you hike to 21 waterfalls located within the park. The trail is rocky and can be slippery, so please dress appropriately and stay alert.
- Catch and Release: Sunfish Pond
- Display your fishing prowess at this 30 acre pond, stocked with trout, bass, pickerel, perch and sunfish. Surrounded by state game lands, you can be sure to see some impressive wildlife, as well, including bald eagles!
- Relaxing Dinner: 220 House
- Sit back and let the friendly staff at 220 House Bar & Grill cater to all of your needs! Enjoy a mouthwatering meal, and plan your next day’s activities. Reservations are recommended, especially on Friday and Saturday evenings.
- Soft Pillows Make For Better Dreams: Hotel Harrington
- Slip into dreamland in the supple comfort you will find in the rooms at the Hotel Harrington. Each room contains a mini-fridge, microwave, Keurig beverage machine, and flat-screen TV, plus a luxurious bed and additional lounge seating.
- BFF Brunch: Jolly Trolley
- Enjoy a nice meal inside a trolley car, located at the only traffic light in Sullivan County! Once inside, browse the attached shop, which offers great Dushore and Sullivan County gear.
- Get Your Heart Rate Up: Kayaking the Loyalsock Creek
- Shop ‘Til You Drop: Katie’s Country Store
- Looking for a gift for that hard-to-shop-for person? Do you love to browse and find something unique? Then Katie’s is your kind of place! You can spend hours in this store, looking through a plethora of unique finds.
- Soothe Your Soul: Loyalsock State Forest
- Commune with nature along the Loyalsock Trail in the Loyalsock State Forest. You can hike the trail, or drive through the 140 miles of forest, spotting wildlife and natural wonders along the way.
- Catch Up Over Dinner and Drinks: 220 House
- Relive old memories, and make new ones, within the cozy dining room of the 220 House Bar & Grill. Reservations are recommended, especially for groups of 4 or more.
- Relax in Pure Comfort: Hotel Harrington
- Put on the latest reality TV show marathon and lounge with your besties in this tranquil environment. Rooms are spacious and chock full of amenities, including Keurig beverage machines.
- Start The Day Off Right: Pam’s Restaurant
- Fill up at Pam’s for a day of adventure! The restaurant opens at 5am most days, and serves up family favorites, including pancakes and eggs with all the fixin’s.
- Stock Up on Supplies: Bill’s Hardware
- Located in the heart of downtown Dushore, Bill’s has everything you could need for your outing! Licenses, fishing rods, ammo, and everything in-between, is sold here. If you have a question, don’t hesitate to ask! Bill is a true expert.
- Hunt, Fish, Hike: Loyalsock State Forest, Worlds End State Park, and Ricketts Glen State Park
- State game lands, stocked lakes and creeks, and a plethora of trails await you in Sullivan County! No matter the sport, you will find a way to have a fulfilling experience here.
- Swap Stories Over Supper: 220 House
- Relish the details of the day over a steak dinner at the 220 House Bar & Grill. The bar is always fully stocked with customer favorites, so sit back with a couple of beers and enjoy your meal.
- Lay Down Your Head: Hotel Harrington
- This cozy hotel makes a great spot for your vacation headquarters! Enjoy your stay with free continental breakfast, in-room Keurig beverage machines, on-site restaurant, and a convenient downtown location. Packages are available, so call the hotel today and book your next adventure!